I am not going to talk about Mr. Rogers... but community made me think of the song. Weird I know!
I have been thinking a lot about community and living intentionally lately. Most of it probably draws into my deep longing for depth in relationships and having community again. However, I think the other part of it is deeply rooted in my call and desire for missions. I can't really remember a time since I have been a Christian that my heart didn't long to share His truth (even when it is dry here). I have really been thinking about missional living and using every opportunity to be engaged with our surroundings. It has made me think about how to do that here, rather than how to do it somewhere else (trust me I daydream enough about Romania, Hungary, Turkey, and China). I really believe that we can make a difference if we lived the gospel and were the church to our community. We could transform communities and the church!
What I am talking about is intentional community and community engagement. A lot of places have apartment careteams, but what about residential areas. Fear has us playing in the backyard, if we play at all. What if a group of Christians, intentionally lived in an area on purpose. What if they engaged the community that way. Normal things like cook outs, dinners, playing at the park... but not solo. Still having an inner circle of support that meets to study the bible and pray together...to encourage one another in love and good deeds.
I think we make it so difficult. We are used to hearing the gospel be compartmentalized and not integrated. We leave the missionary work, well to missionaries. Hate to say it, but umm we are all called to go and make disciples. Wherever we are.
No comments:
Post a Comment