Thursday, July 8, 2010

Hope against Hope

I have been so reminded lately how important strong biblical community is in our walk with the Lord. How sweet the blessing of fellowship is to remind us to hope when it seems like hope isn't possible. The bible tells us over and over that community is essential to our faith. Community sharpens us, pushes us, encourages us, and renews us.

Now, I want to be frank that I have felt dry. I mean if you read this thing at all, you are probably like umm I get that, read it like every other week. I can't really express to you how hard spiritually this year in Houston has been. I definitely can't do it without tears. However, I have been reminded persistently through a friend in my inner circle of God's command for us to keep meeting together, to keep encouraging one another, and to keep believing in God's promises.

This week in our study of Romans, a verse in chapter 4 has just stuck with me "No distrust made him (Abraham) waver concerning the promise of God, fully convinced that God was able to fo what he had promised." He had plently of things to make him waver, plently of reasons to throw in the towel, plently of reasons to be hopeless...yet He didn't and He was convinced of the promises of God. It says "In hope he believed against hope". Even when it seemed like he had every valid reason not to believe, he still hoped. I love that, what a challenge and encouragement.

So I am praying that God would increase my belief in his promises and make me to not waver despite any odds. I am believing he has a community for us in Houston. I am believing that he has a church for us in Houston. I am believing that Hope in Him will sustain us. Praying for your belief in his promises to increase as well.

No comments: