Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Hey Mr. DJ put a record on...

Ok...so this post isn't about Madonna or about putting a pop song in your head, although it is catchy. What I am talking about is that record you play in your head over and over. The record of those who have doubted you, shamed you, minimized you, whatever they have done or said to make your light feel a little dim. Maybe your record isn't what others say but what you think and feel...I can't do this because, I shouldn't because, I am not worthy because....THAT is what I am talking about...DOUBT and FEAR.

See we live in that realm so often that sometimes we don't recognize that is eating us up or tearing us down. We step back from risk or we pull away from dreams because we are fearful of failing or we doubt our own abilities or God's power in us. Have you ever had a dream, been excited and then immediately thought of the long list of why that can't possible be reality. Now, I know sometimes we need to check our hearts and see what our motives are and recognize our own limits... I am not saying burn yourself out or be unwise. However, I think we lean to the side of caution a little to much. We believe lies that we are powerless, voiceless, talentless, incompetent, unprepared, uneducated or we create barriers like I have to do this first in order to do this or I have to learn this or be this. When really we don't, we have to TRUST and take that step. We have to admit that we are doubtful and then ask for help to overcome our doubt.

2 Timothy 1:7 says that God did not give us a spirit of fear but of power and love and self-control.

Then 2 Timothy 3:5 Warns that there are people who have the appearance of godliness, but deny its power.

Then it affirms the very thing we doubt 2 Timothy 3:16-17 All scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be COMPETENT, EQUIPPED for every good work.

So what is it going to be for you-the same song and dance, denying the power or will you be like the man in Mark and ask God to help you in your unbelief, remind you of the power you have in Him, and be free from the fear that holds you back?

No comments: