Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Seasons Change

As the temperature gets warmer, or should I say more consistently warmer in Texas.. you can notice the seasons changing. The tree on our walkway is in full bloom and it is just beautiful. Justin planted our spring flowers in the flower pots and they just make my heart smile. I switched the fall rug and spring rug, which are just the same pattern but one is warm colors and one is bright colors. (The other just goes on the back porch, haha). For us seasons change has become such a bigger term.

Just two years ago we picked up all we had in a rush and moved to Dallas. The one place that Justin said He never wanted to live, funny how God works. We began to get plugged in here and just do life. God took us to an amazing Church that provided us with the most amazing community I have ever been able to be a part of. He provided friendships and accountability partners in ways I never even thought to ask for. He has taken me on a new career path and set Justin's heart aflame for medical missions. During the spring last year, Justin and I lived in a very nice neighborhood with lovely flowers, so we would go on walks to talk, dream, and pray. I remember begging him to pursue what he felt made to do. I want the leader of our family to enjoy the work he does to provide and I want him to be able to tell our kids someday I took every risk I could to pursue what the the Lord would have for me. During my "discussions" with him about fear and risk, God was pricking at me to change my career. So, we did.. it took us to a deep phase of trusting. At the time my job was the stable one, the one that made good money.. and a change would lose that and we knew we would be without pay for a bit. During that time it was so great to pray, beg, and plead with the Lord to provide. He did in such a beautiful way. Seeing God work in that gave Justin hope that God would always provide even if it was not the way we thought it would be.

So, he took the first step and began pursuing PA school (physician's assistant). He began a rigorous summer schedule of full time work and evening classes every night all summer. He continued taking classes in the fall and working full time. He began his applications and writing essays upon essays. All the while adjusting to a new schedule with his wife, taking on new responsibility at work, and seeking the Lord. It has been a long journey in the sense that God has shown us so much, even amidst our fears and doubts. And trust me those fears and doubts have been high! We about gave up on the idea when it seemed like rejection after rejection came.. you couldn't avoid it mail, email.. it was there. We started making our plan b, maybe we are the only ones that do that but we did. Then one night Justin said to me honestly, "I am sad, I really thought this is what the Lord was calling me to.. and I don't have a chance." He had given up, I saw it in his face. As a wife this is a terrible feeling.. I didn't know how to encourage him.. I didn't know how to ask the Lord to show Him this is what He has for him and it just may not be how we thought it would look like. Well, low and behold an email comes through the next day inviting him to interview at a school. The ONLY school left to interview at. We are excited, nervous, and just thrown back into..okay this might happen.

Justin had his interview last Friday, THE 13TH. Ahh. We prayed that God would make it clear, we prayed for direction, for favor, for ministry opportunity. Justin went into his interview at 8:30am and I went driving and praying. I just prayed over the city and saw a lot of hurt. I saw Isaiah 61 alive and open to help. I also saw lots of tropical flowers, which I love. He got out at 4:45. He had the biggest smile on his face, I mean seriously.. combating our wedding day big. He just was beaming. He talked about how they pitch a tent and just serve the community on the weekends, how they work with prisoners, how they are so involved with the poor.. He was in his place. I just began to beg God, let this be his time to pursue you in this. Let the directors remember the right Justin (the only other guy there interviewing was Justin too). They told him that they would get together on wednesday (today) to make decisions and then notify. There is a whole process of initial picks, letter picks, and wait list.

Tuesday I am needing to email someone that Justin has the email for but I do not. So I get into his email (we are open like that) and there is an email from UTMB. I am freaking out, he is not home.. I don't want to know anything before he does.. so I log out really quick and throw the computer on the other couch. I am walking around the house screaming, as he walks in the door. I am yelling "check your email" he is confused thoroughly...I am yell "check your stinking email"..he is like where the computer, why.. I am like just stupid do it. He checks it .... (He just got home from the dentist, where he received 5 numbing shots)..He looks at me like hunchback of Dame. I am like well.. what.. what is that look. Oh no, it is bad. He whispers, "I got in"..

You got in!! I am screaming running around, let me see that email. I thought they weren't going to email.. I thought they met tomorrow. What, are you kidding?!?! He is just looking at me as I am going a million miles an hour.

So all that to say Justin has been accepted to the UTMB 3 year program and will begin Fall 2009.

Yippee! Yippee!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brianna,
I have tears streaming down my face right now and an overflow of excitement in my heart for you and Justin. I was about to call you so you could hear the joy in my voice for you guys but your number escaped my phone somehow. I guess that's what happens when friends lose touch.

Justin, I am so excited for you. I know how much of your heart you have poured into this & WOW what an accomplishment!! You got in!!!

Lex & I are going through the same process. He's been pursuing med school for 2 years now. The emotions in this post hit so close to home. As I read it I really felt like I had written it. Maybe that's why I am crying like a baby right now! I know the passion for medical missions, the joy medicine brings Lex, the doubts that come along with pursuing something so amazing, the "uhhh...God? are you there? I thought you where but now I'm not sure." I'm so glad that God is taking you guys on this journey. I am so so glad.

Brianna, your faithfulness as a wife is inspiring to me. I struggle with those same feelings of not knowing what to do or say sometimes to encourage and support Lex. Thank you for posting this. It was just for me & Lex to read.

So Galveston, huh? How amazing.

Melissa said...

Little Justin, I am sooooo proud of you right now I could burst!! Just picture me dancing around! Haha! We love, love, love you both!

Jason and Stephanie Trook said...

YYYYYIIIIIPPPPPEEEEEEEEEE! Chills are covering my entire body! I am so excited and proud of both of you! Brianna, I already received a reference form and have sent it back! God's timing is perfect! We can't wait to see what other miracles God works out! Love you both!
P.S.-My word verification for this post is "nomantic"-weird!

The Sudan Fam said...

That is soooo awesome!! So excited for you guys! Does that mean yall are moving to Galevston...? i wasnt sure if that UTMB is the one in Galveston.