Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Praying for the soul

I have been reading a devotional that was given to me a long time ago, Taste and See by John Piper. It has been exactly what I needed in this season of my life. Funny how God works that out for us. The subtitle is savoring the supremacy of God in all of life, this is just what I need to be doing.

I have been encouraged and challenged by so many things in this so far, I can not share them all. But today I read about praying for the soul, our's and another's. It was such a unique blessing to me that I wanted to share with you the 8 points that Piper shares from scripture on how to pray for our soul.

1. The first thing soul needs is an inclination to God and his word. Without that, nothing else will happen of any value in my life. I must want to know God and read his word and draw near to him. Where does that "want to" come from? It comes from God. So Psalm 119:36 teaches us to pray, "Incline my heart to your testomonies and not to gain"

2. Next we need the eyes of our heart opened so that when my inclination leads me to the word, I see what is really there and not just my own ideas. Who opens the eyes of the heart? God does. So Psalm 119:18 teaches us to pray, "Open my eyes, that I may behold wonderful things from your law"

3. Then we need for our heart to be enlightened with these "wonders." We need to perceive glory in them and not just interesting facts. Who enlightens the heart? God does. So ephesians 1:18 teaches us to pray "that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened"

4. Then we are concerned that our heart is badly fragmented and that parts of it might remain in the dark while other parts are enlightened. So I long for my heart to be united for God. Where does that wholeness and unity come from? God. Psalm 86:11 teaches us to pray " O Lord, I will walk in your truth; unite my heart to fear your name"

5. What we really want from all this engagement with the word of god and the work of his spirit in aswer to our prayers is that my heart will be satisfied with God and not with the world. Where does that satisfaction come from? God. So Psalm 90:14 teaches us to pray, "Satisfy us in the morning with they steadfast love, that we may rejoice and be glad all our days"

6. But we don't want our happiness to be fragile or weak, but to be strong and durable in the face of the worst adversities. I want to be strong in joy, and perservering during the dark seasons. Where does that strength and durability come from? It comes from God. So ephesians 3:16 teaches us to pray, "That God would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His spirit in the inner man"

7. We do not my strength in Christ to simply be fruitful for me, but for others. Clearly, "it is more blessed to give than receive"Acts 20:35. So I want to produce good deeds and works of love for others, so that the glory of God will be seen in my life, and others will taste and see that the Lord is good. Who produces these good deeds of love? God does. So colossians 1:10 teaches us to pray " That we will walk in a manner worthy of the Lord..bearing fruit in every good work"

8. Finally, lest the ultimate aim of it all be missed, pray day after day--as a kind of banner flying over all our prayers--"HALLOWED by thy name" Matthew 6:9, Lord, cause your name to be known and fears and loved and cherished and admired and praised and trusted because of my life and ministry.

All this prayed in Jesus' name, because God gives these things only on the basis of Jesus' death. He died for me and removed the wrath of God so that the Father might freely give me all things (Romans 8:32).

Be blessed!

Page 63-65, Taste and See: Savoring the supremacy of God in all things, John Piper

No comments: