I have really been struggling with that fact that our generation of people do not have a good set of people to model after. I mean when we hear the words "Lead your family" and guys say okay... but really don't know what that looks like. The ladies hear "love and support your family, have a gentle and quiet spirit"...umm okay perfect, I will do it. We walk away on the inside and try to figure out what that means. When we hear go live in the "biblical community" and "live missionally" and have "authentic accountability".
I worry at times that we nod in understanding without actually understanding at all. We take whatever picture we have of this and run with it, whether it is biblical or not. I think we need more examples.. we need older more experienced people to model this for us. We need our leadership in churches to really define what this means, biblically and show people.
This is why discipleship is so important to me, over and over in the bible you see an experienced believer taking a younger person under their wing to show them the ropes. But we run into this, where are these people? If we do not have them in our family, where? If you are not in a church, with an abundance of middle aged or older people..where?
My heart hurts for this, for true discipleship for everyone. I have seen the beauty of this and experienced it first hand. I KNOW it is effective, but I KNOW it is not everywhere. I have also seen the terrible effects of people taking these words and making their own definition. Then their definitions become the be all and end all, and in the process they cut and hurt people around them because they are not following their definition of this term.
If we do not have the people resources, then we need to have the people we do have MODEL. Show the church, give the example, walk them through it..so that there is not room for made up definitions.
No comments:
Post a Comment