One thing I have been trying to focus on recently is getting beyond the momentary. Does this really make a difference long term? Is this building a habit I want to have forever? Am I investing or just wasting? No, I am not just talking about money. For me, these are the questions I have to ask to think about a healthy lifestyle, one that has margin and balance. In school we have been talking about self-care and how it is necessary in helping professions. I think self-care should be necessary in all lives, thus why the God of the Universe had a sabbath. Honestly, how many of us take a day of rest? It took me back to Randy Anderson's class and I thought a lot about this wheel of life. I have to create this pattern now, while I am in school and while I do not have children. So, that when life changes I have routines for those things, I have an idea of what they look like and how life functions with them. So for two weeks now I have been paying attention to what robs me of joy, what brings me joy, what areas I need to evaluate, etc. It has been a healthy time for me to go to the Lord and be examined.
So I am celebrating small victories, amidst my insane schedule...(because if you know me you know I sign up for way too much)... I have found margin. I have had a total day of rest, no school, work, field, student government, chores, etc. Just things that bring my heart joy and make me sing a new song. I have also been able to dedicate time to healthy living by eating better, planning more, and being aware of my pitfalls. Yah! With that I have lost over 9 lbs and just put on a smaller size pants this week!
It is weird to plan to have time and margin, but for me it has worked. People have noticed and I have been able to share some of my Jesus because of it.
Go...take a sabbath...rest your weary soul in our saviors arms, he longs for it! It is worth it!
1 comment:
small victories is what it's all about!
Post a Comment