Sunday, August 22, 2010

Lessons from a fall

So two weeks ago today I fell in Colorado and severely injured my right ankle. I was scared to death when it happened and will probably post about it in detail some time in the future. However, God has used these beginning two weeks to reveal portions of my heart, teach me lessons, and increase my faith.

Here are a few serious and non-serious lessons I have learned:
*There are not NEAR enough handicap access points in MOST places
*Strangers will totally talk to me out of the blue about my injury, usually starting the conversation with some lame joke
*People feel it necessary to share any story related to the type of injury you have (personal, someone else's, not even related, etc)
*Kids and animals are afraid of my leg cast/wrap and sometimes my wheelchair
*Not choosing to live on the ground level can create a severe amount of pain, money, and work in the long run
*I am hard headed and still have trouble asking for help
*I despair when I should not because I have hope
*I have a poor attitude towards a gracious and merciful God more than I should
*Tears can come at any point
*Bath time is a luxury
*People are generous because God has been generous to them
*I have the MOST AMAZING husband in the whole world: He has served me relentlessly since the moment I injured myself, he has yet to complain, he is patient with my stubbornness, he is comforting in my break downs (which have been numerous), he is quick to meet any need...he has been fabulous and I am so thankful to God that He gave me a partner whose spirit convicts me daily of how unlike Christ I am in my heart and thoughts because He is so faithful to love me the way Christ calls him to love me.

I know God is going to use this time to teach me so much, I am praying my heart is open to learning and not hardened by sin or deceit.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm soooo sorry! Ugh I hate being injured. It is so hard, but I love how you are seeing God in even this. You are amazing and I hope you get better soon!

Nicoll said...

Brianna, I am so sorry about your ankle. Shea asked me to keep you in my prayers when she told me what happened, and I will. Christ-like husbands are such blessings, and it's wonderful you have such a partner to serve you at this time. Thank you for housing my wonderful little sister! I sure am thankful she has Christian friends like you, and I know she's a blessing, as well. God bless the rest of your healing process. :)