Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Perfect Protest

I recently heard about The Perfect Protest and it sparked my interest. I have recently started reading Dr. Brene` Brown's book, The gifts of Imperfection, It is so great! I am reading slowly, so I can process and apply.

This protest has had me thinking all week about what do I possess that combats this idea of perfectionism. The first thing for me, was faith in Jesus. I don't have to be perfect and really I will never be perfect. He took that burden from me. He redeemed that in me. This is really an aspect of my life that I have been asking and begging to have freedom in. So my statement is "I am REDEEMED from the lie of perfection!"

It is a daily walk. Choosing to believe truth that I don't have to be perfect, I have to be me. I have to be comfortable with the outspoken, bold, driven, compassionate, sappy me. As a professional, as a wife, as a daughter, as a friend, as a student, as a leader...wherever I am.

My challenge to you this week is to DIG deep to see what grip perfectionism has on your life (boy have we felt the stings of that grip) and what tools do you have to battle against it?

For me I came up with a view weapons this week against perfectionism:
*Faith and the truth of scripture
*Love of family and friends
*Joyful heart
*Courage
*Strength

4 comments:

Holly Kay Oxhandler said...

LOVE this!! :) Thanks for sharing my friend!

Brené Brown said...

Awe.some!

Carrie @carrieloves said...

Love this and your picture is GREAT! You don't have to be perfect to be beautiful! I blog hopped over from the ordinary courage.

Kelly said...

I just joined in on Brene's Perfect Protest. (Just found her blog last night, so I wasn't able to snap a picture). Once I hit a 30-something, I began to feel this way.
I have learned there is a sense of peace that comes with accepting little imperfections. :D
Have a great weekend!!