Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Prepare your hearts

Preparation. A word that I am familiar with, a word that shapes my work day at the beginning and the end, a word that is used as I set out my clothes for the next day or make my lunch...it is not an uncommon word in my daily routine. However, I have these mental boxes of this set of things and that like a work box, an internship box, a student association box, etc. I realized today I have gotten stuck in this mode of seperating, task-listing, way of living life without seeing that it is seeping into my spiritual life. I have recently made it a time and a place, or a portion rather than this continous flow that brings all these other boxes together. In the midst of that I haven't been including the "preparation" word in my spiritual box. It has been wing it, do-when-you-can, off the fly kind of practice. This week I realized I prepare the heck out of everything else I do, I get up early to prepare for the day, I stay late at work to prepare for the next day, I prepare task-lists for school and organizations...but I don't prepare my heart for the day.

I noticed yesterday by setting the tone to my day and communing with God, I was able to share more with others around me, I was able to practice the act of gratitude...it didn't cure my exhaustion, but it mended my attitude about it.

Why is it so easy sometimes to notice when we don't prepare for things like work or school, but we can fly by not preparing our hearts? I am praying that God would increase my awareness of my tendency to self-depend and to put my spiritual life into a box.

No comments: