Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Real life ministry

Back in the day (well in all honesty NOT tooo long ago), I thought being "called" to ministry work meant not working in the "real world" and only working for some church sponsored type organization or the church itself. I often wrestled and struggled with this because I feel/felt such a deep calling in my heart for the hurting people of this world and I feel/felt that Jesus is our source of healing. I have been frustrated, angry, you name it about the expense of seminary and the difficulty with finding the "perfect" organization to work for and minister through. I kept trying to make my plan for life.

Well, I have come to learn lately and through my journey in Graduate school (not seminary) that God needs us to minister in the "real world" too. Not that I haven't heard this, NOT that anyone in particular put this idea in my mind, but I felt it. I think church ministry is important, I think the church can have a huge impact on its body and community through the members. I also think that we are called to be ambassadors, we are called to reconcile, and we can utilize the talents/skills/passions we have where are now. NOW, I know you are thinking WOW SHE IS SLOW. Maybe that is true.

But I also think sometimes we put these categories up. Those are the ministry/mission people and those are the regular people. Well we and they are both. Just because someone is doing full time ministry work, doesn't make what they do any cooler or special. Just because we are working in a job outside of the church doesn't make us less than or broken or mislead. Sometimes it is EXACTLY where God wants us to shine, to minister, to learn, to teach, to reach. So, if you are like me...take a step back and ask God to open your eyes to work he has for you right where you are. I feel happily spent in my job.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I really love how you are showing up in the world. Especially, through deeply held spiritual and personal values as a social worker. I wish you much success in your career as a social worker and your journey!