Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Changes

Life changes so quickly. As most of you know, I don't typically handle change very well. I am typically a methodical, well-planned individual. Since we have moved to Dallas the Lord has just taken me on a ride. This year has been full of changes, shifts, transition, dissappointments, excitements, and learning. I was excited when He whisked us up from Lubbock in a whirlwind, it was so different then the pace we were at. It was not soon after that everything seemed to die down and I was hit with unmet expectations at my new job, Justin looking for a solid career with no real stability, and just overall insecure times. God honored our request of a stable, God fearing, authentic home group. These people loved us, called us to live deep and be honest..and encouraged us to continue to pursue and seek the Lord's call for us. As usual I attempted to make my own plan, "where do you want us to go Lord? what will you have us do? how can I do this?"...No answer, just seek me, love me, and be faithful where I have you. What?!?!? Where you have me..but I am not satisfied, my gifts aren't being used, I am tired, you are not honored there, stability...something. No, Brianna stay faithful where I have you. Okay I guess. Weekly being honest with our homegroup of dissatisfaction and just the pressure to be something in my job that I KNOW would not honor God. God, How can I honor you here and do my job well? Be faithful to ME only Brianna, I am your boss. Do you believe that? Kinda..but I am scared..I NEED this job to provide for me.. Is that truth? Well, no..but It feels like it somedays. Honor me. So I learned each day what it meant to stand for Him, what it felt like to fall hard, and how much I was not meant to be in this job. Set me free Lord will you? Not yet, I want the Honor. So.. in April the Lord gave me a glimpse of relief, a new opportunity. I faithfully pursued the opportunity, but remained obedient to the place He had me for the time. In May, on my birthday.. I was put in a place to truly lean on the Lord. I knew clearly at that time in our homegroup that the Lord said, Now you may leave this place. You must speak with your boss immediately. So, I notified my boss for a meeting. I was honest about my feelings, beliefs, and calling...asking to stay for the entire summer to finish what the Lord called me to this place to do and then to leave in August. All the while thinking great, this guy is not going to believe that I will remain faithful for the summer, He won't be gracious..he doesn't know grace. I finished and he said.."I know you are honest..you have worked hard with integrity.. I would love to have you stay as long as you need." I am sorry, what?!?! Okay, great..thank you. Lord, did you see that happen? So then the month went on and I did not receive the full time teaching position I was looking for. I had two interviews that said, there is nothing for you here.. good luck with that..its too bad you are not certified yet...you are not qualified. Why Lord? Why did you ask me to say I was leaving without a plan? What am I supposed to do? Remain faithful. So, I let it go, every minute of the day I had to ask for strength to trust. Immediately I received a call for an interview at the school I wanted to work at. I interviewed and was set up to observe and then teach. I felt alive, thankful, and hopeful. I asked for the Lord's blessing, peace, and His aroma to fill the room. I was able to observe one of the best teachers I have ever seen. She used every moment to teach about life, it was like being at church. I was so encouraged. I was asked to teach the next day. I was freaking out, I have never taught, I don't know how, where do I start? The Lord was with me. I had a blast..I was able to connect with the kids...share truth..and just feel ALIVE. So today I received a call and was offered the position to teach 5th grade starting this fall. I am so excited, thankful, and just overwhelmed with the Lord's mercy. Do I think this year will be a walk in the park? No!! But I have learned to be faithful in the place He has me now and to use every moment to reflect His character. Boy do I need His grace and mercy to do that.

My challenge to you is to:
  • Pursue the Lord with all you have above all else
  • Remain faithful in the place He has put you
  • Ask fervently for the Lord to show you where you can thrive and pursue it until He opens or shuts the door
  • Be thankful for every way He teaches you, molds you, reveals Himself, etc

4 comments:

shari said...

i am still so excited for you!

you are so encouraging and i loved reading this and reading your challenge! this has inspired me today! i really needed to read something like this!

love you!

Anonymous said...

Great word!

PS. Congrats on the teaching position

Austin W.

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited for you and your new job - love you!

I really miss you.

Sarah

The McDons said...

God is so faithful! I'm so glad things have worked out for you! We just joined blog land. Glad to know y'all are doing great! :)