Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Be like me...er I mean Jesus

I will give you an out now to close the window, this is a rant!

My preface to this post is this: I do believe this verse in the bible with my whole heart and soul:
4For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. Romans 15:4

However, I don't believe that you can take your own personal spin to this scripture and make it however you want it to be. I also don't think that you can take a random verse and add to it. It is given for our instruction, endurance, and encouragement. I also know that scripture is for our rebuke, repentance, change, and transformation. I fully believe that scripture is powerful, sustaining, changing, etc.

But I am SOOO tired of the Christian community and who ever else, wants to take parts of the bible or pieces of scripture and make that the truth. That one piece or set of them. Then they decide that is how God decided for everyone in the world to live and get on their roller and smush everyone who isn't like them. NOW hear me I think there are definite STAKES in the bible that we can't argue about. I do! But come on people, just because you feel lead to live your life a certain way doesn't make it the holy way. Just because God called you to something doesn't mean he calls everyone to that as well.

Example: If you are called to be a music minister, God gave you this gift and empowered you... you pursued it, etc. Great! But does that make my gift or life less worthy of bringing him praise because I am NOT a music minister. No, of course not. We all think that is silly.

Then why oh why do we do that with other things. When you have children, if you work or not, if we homeschool, how we worship, where we live, etc.

If we are in sin in our choices, clearly outlined by our disobedience, rebellion, etc... different story...but that would require you to know a person's HEART right?

So take the things that you have been called to rejoice in Him and continue preach the word boldly, but don't legalize your experiences to make them standard operating condition to be a follower of Jesus. Think before you vomit a piece of God's truth in your tangled mess of judgement without really thinking is that what this word means for EVERYONE. Is that the REAL message in this verse or what the Lord used to convict me?

12For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. 13And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account. Hebrews 4:12-13

16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness. 2 timothy 3:16

I believe the scripture should be spoken to one another, we should obey it, and I love discipleship/accountability. I am just tired of hearing story after story of beat down believers because some legalistic views of another. Build each other up, edify, strengthen, yes discipline, but be cautious of your own words vs. God's truth. This is a reminder for me as well, walking a fine line of boldly proclaiming truth and boldly pressuring others to be like me instead of Jesus.

No comments: