Thursday, November 17, 2011

Gratitude

I have been really looking forward to Thanksgiving this year. Mostly because J and I are getting to go "Home" for the first time in several years. There is something very special about gathering with your family, spending time, and making memories. I am thankful for the families that took us in for the past couple of years when we were unable to travel home, but it never replaces that home feeling.

As I think about Thanksgiving, I automatically think about gratitude. What am I grateful for? Do I show it? Do I say it? Do I live it? The genuine truth is not usually. I consider myself an encourager for the most part. I am thankful for a lot of things, people, etc. But more often than not I let the little things take over. I let the bad stand out. I verbalize the other.

This week I had an opportunity to really see both sides of the stick (so to speak). I have a job that more often than not, turns my heart toward gratitude. Because after what I see at work, I know that I am lucky, blessed, whatever you want to call it. I have much to be thankful for. Well,
this week I got to see the results of living an thankless life and damage it does on those around you. AND I got to see the results of someone going out of their way to say thank you for even the most simple things. It was amazing to see how the differing perspectives infected every area of their life. I am thankful to God for this picture and for the opportunity to my eyes opened and heart enlighten. My prayer is that 50 years from now, I will be the gleaming example of a life on fire with gratitude.

I met a lady this week who writes a thank you note every day. Can you imagine? What a way to keep in perspective! What a good practice.

No comments: