Monday, April 5, 2010

Joy

As Easter has come and gone, it has made me think a lot about the word Joy. When I looked up the definition in the dictionary it said "the emotion evoked by well-being, success, or good fortune or by the prospect of possessing what one desires." However, this doesn't seem to satisfy because what about when things aren't going well, when you are in the midst of failure, life is hard, or heaven forbid you don't get what you want.. then what?

Well, I know what I do.. I pout, grumble, and become bitter... I don't respond in JOY. What sparked my interest is the verse that says "looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God." (Hebrews 12:2).

What is this JOY that knowing what the cross meant, what it would bring.. that with JOY would endure it anyway. I mean it could easy be said for all pain and suffering, Jesus endured the cross. I mean UNDERSTANDABLE right? Not for the JOY set before him.

I am working this one out with the Lord, but in the mean time. I wanted to encourage you not to buy in the Merriam Webster definition of Joy, but to find your answer in Jesus.

No comments: