Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Year of ONE

So I was thinking on New Year's Day...the date is 1/01/11, weird. I don't know why, I like numbers but I do. I was thinking hmmm that has some significance...all these ones. (Okay not like authoritative significance, but it could be used to speak to our hearts). As I have been thinking about the year of ONE, I have been thinking about how often the Bible tells us to be unified, with one heart, as one body, etc. Today as I was reading Isaiah 1, it got me thinking about it too. See we could take the year of ONE and make it about Number 1, BUT who really is number 1...you..God...your children...your spouse...your dog....others? What are we doing to be ONE body, to unify? Ephesians 2:11-22 Reminds us that we are ONE in Christ. Vs 14 says, For he himself is our peace, who has made us both one and has broken down in his flesh the dividing wall of hostility.

We are also urged to stand up and speak out for those who cannot do that on their own. Isaiah 1:17 "Learn to do good; seek justice, correct oppression, bring justice to the fatherless, plead the widow's cause."

As ONE we can together walk free from the dividing wall of hostility and reach out the community around us in need. To our community, the people God has given us the opportunity to be with now. As we think about all the resolutions we want to make for ourselves and all things within us that needs to change, I think we also should think about the impact we are making day to day. Are we just bringing vain offerings to God or are we obediently loving on his people? Am I so caught up in the hostility against this person, people group, problem, etc that my heart doesn't see outward?

This doesn't mean go pick a monthly service project for every person (maybe it does for you), but simply asking yourself and asking God...What I am doing to learn to do good? What I am doing to seek justice? What am I doing to correct oppression? What would he have you do?

No comments: