One of the promises that I love the most in the bible is that God makes all things new. I think this is one of the few reasons why I love seasons so much. There is something so beautiful seeing white snow cover everything and seeing how pure it everything looks covered (to me the way Jesus allows us to look to God). Then seeing everything bud and bloom in the spring, remembering that while things look gloom for a time, God makes all things new. For that very reason, I love the New Year....everyone buzzing about change and looking introspectively...something I think is all too rare these days. Everyone wants a fresh start.
As I started thinking and praying about what this year would be like, I couldn't help but selfishly ask "God can it be easier than last year." I mean 2010 was a rough year with friends and family getting diagnosed with Cancer, broken legs, loss of sweet friends, and lots of changes, etc. As rough as the year has been, God has never let us be alone in our troubles. He has continued to provide encouragement for us, money for us, and even given us sweet time with those we love. It made me think, those hard times were hard but used them to teach us, refine us, and solidify his promises to us.
Piper posted this comment on Twitter on New Year's Day " God Promises new troubles (Matthew 6:34), new mercies (Lam. 3:23), and new hope (2 Corin. 4:16) for everyday this year." I read that and thought...ugh troubles...really? But as I have chewed on that the past couple of days.. I have felt myself remembering that each year really has had some kind of trouble of its own, but each step has been full of his mercy and grace to be sustained through it or learn from it or grow from it. He isn't hiding the fact ever in the word that trouble may and will come our way, but what he does promise is he will always be there.
My hope this year is not that it will be a terrible year full of troubles or blissful year without a care, but that no matter what circumstance comes that my faith in him would deepen and that his truth would be LOUDER and stronger in my heart than last year. That I would not grow weary, but remain faithful. Really I am hoping this year is all about His grace for each day.
I know myself and I hope that the February, May, August, October versions of me seek Him and when it seems like it is too tough, that I would come back to the January me and remember that girl made it through 2010 with hope in her heart and that God is bigger than whatever might attempt to put out that hope.
No comments:
Post a Comment